Dedicated to restoring Bonaire’s coral reefs
Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire’s (RRFB) mission is to help protect, replenish, and restore the biodiverse coral reefs of Bonaire. We focus on implementing innovative, science-based programs that expand and strengthen populations of keystone coral reef species. We do this so that the reefs of Bonaire can gain the necessary scale, genetic diversity, and resilience to thrive today and in the uncertain, ever-changing conditions of the future.
- work closely with key stakeholders on Bonaire (governments, the marine park, divers and dive operators, local businesses, and other non-profits) to spearhead reef restoration on the island
- actively engage with and inspire Bonaire’s residents and visitors with interactive educational programs and events
- partner with world-class scientists and science-backed organizations to accelerate our work, refine our restoration techniques, and properly communicate our progress here on Bonaire
- seek international recognition for Bonaire as a Coral Reef Restoration Center of Excellence and attract scientists and restoration practitioners from around the globe, who come to Bonaire in search of proper training techniques and best-practice education
is a world:
- Where knowledge and experience can be shared
- Where reefs are protected and restored
- Where reef degradation is halted
- Where ocean awareness is promoted
Our Core Values
- Be committed and determined
- Be accountable and transparent
- Be positive and motivational
- Have integrity
- Pursue growth and learning
- Embrace and drive change
Research & Science
Work with partner research scientists and institutes to answer questions that will continue to advance the restoration method and scale-up the positive impact on the reefs.
Collaborate with institutions and organizations internationally to facilitate the exchange of information and develop best practices within the growing field of coral restoration.
Outreach & Involvement
Involve the community and take collective actions, while educating the public about the importance of Bonaire’s coral reef, and the need for conservation and restoration.
How it all started
Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire was founded in 2012, when Ken Nedimyer, Founder of Coral Restoration Foundation in the Florida Keys, was invited to visit the island to work with and assist Bonaire with their continued efforts to preserve Bonaire’s greatest assets, its coral reefs.
In February 2012, the Bonaire government together with the Bonaire National Marine Park, granted a permit for a project centered on the restoration of the shallow reef population of staghorn and elkhorn corals.
The project started with just two small nurseries and few corals and has grown each year every since. Today, Reef Renewal Foundation Bonaire is supported by many diveshops on the island, works on multiple corals species with different techniques, and has outplanted back to the reef over 40,000 corals.