We offer an internship designed to introduce individuals to the non-profit sector of marine conservation with a focus on the restoration of tropical coral reef ecosystems. During this internship you will be trained and certified as a coral reef restoration diver and will get fully acquainted with the daily operations of the foundation. The internship lasts 10 weeks and is a full-time volunteer position offering a vast amount of experience in coral reef restoration through participation in our community involvement, daily operations and field work- which includes maintaining our coral nurseries and outplanting corals onto the reefs.
For the internship position we seek individuals that are enrolled in either a graduate or undergraduate program, or are recent graduate students. Applicants should have interest in marine or environmental science/policy and share our commitment to the preservation of marine life and biological diversity.
What’s it like to be a RRFB intern? Read their first-hand experience here
Qualifications & Requirements
- Applicants should be enrolled in an undergraduate program having completed at least two years of study at an accredited college or university, be enrolled in a graduate program, OR be a recent graduate from a college or university.
- Applicants must have an Open Water SCUBA diver certification and at least 30 logged dives.
- Applicants need to be physically fit and able to work in the water and sun. Selected candidates are required to fill in a Diver Medical Participant Questionnaire. This questionnaire provides a basis to determine if you should seek a dive evaluation by a certified physician.
- Applicants need to provide own living expenses (housing, transportation, food) and dive gear (excluding tanks and weights).
- Travel and dive insurance recommended.
Interns perform a range of tasks, including:
- Participating in community outreach programs
- Assisting with maintenance in coral nurseries
- Assisting with the outplanting of corals
- Assisting staff in coral reef restoration dive programs
- Assisting staff in leading volunteer activities
- Promoting the Foundation and communicating the achievements
10 weeks (75 days, see internship dates below)
Full-time (40 hours a week)
Intern must provide:
Living cost (housing, food, transportation) and dive gear (excluding tanks and weights).
Upcoming Coral Reef Restoration Internships
1st Quarter 2024
Start date: January 15th
End date: March 29th
2nd Quarter 2024
Start date: April 15th
End date: June 28th
3rd Quarter 2024
Start date: July 15th
End date: September 27th
4th Quarter 2024
Start date: October 7th
End date: December 20th
1st Quarter 2025
Start date: January 13th
End date: March 28th
2nd Quarter 2025
Start date: April 14th
End date: June 27th
3rd Quarter 2025
Start date: July 14th
End date: September 26th
4th Quarter 2025
Start date: October 6th
End date: December 19th